Friday, December 5, 2014

Why I Stopped Blogging {and started again}

Everybody has something to say, so what could I possibly say that could matter, that could make any bit of a difference? 

This is a story of why I stopped blogging {and started again} and what God has taught me through silence.

When I first started blogging back in back in 2011 it was because I thought I had something to say. God was doing things in me in my 20s and I wanted to share what he was doing in hopes that as I searched and struggled, it could help somebody else find the things I was searching for faster than I did.

But we are not at a shortage for blogs. And there are men and women with much wiser, holier and better-intentioned things to say.

You and I both know, there is no shortage of opinions in this world, from yelp to angie's list, everything is rated and given "stars" to signify our satisfaction and level of recommendation. Blogs are no different... they're rated by likes and followers- as if any of us need more critics in our lives and in our work. And pouring your heart out for the world to critique isn't the easiest thing to do!

In this world it feels like everybody has something to say about everything! Not just commentary on news and blogs, but all over your facebook wall, in your inbox, etc. We're bombarded with all kinds of messaging. And In a world like that even if you're passionate about what you have to say, it's sometimes hard to feel like anybody cares or like it will do any good.

And the truth is, nobody probably does care and maybe it won't do any good. 

As I was scrolling through my facebook feed the other week I saw yet another post inviting me to somebody's blog to see what he had learned about something rather... and I thought "right, cause I (angi) need to know what you (not a famous writer or blogger or speaker) think, know or learned about blank".....

AND THEN IT HIT ME...

Maybe blogging isn't as much for others after all, maybe for all of us out there blogging/thinking/believing we have something to say- maybe the person that's ultimately for is our own selves in the very first place. 

Here's what I mean:

I (emphasis on "I") need to hear what I (emphasis on "I") learned more than anyone else.

The WORLD doesn't need you (your blog, your opinion, etc) --  YOU NEED YOU. Because the best parts of you are God-given and it would be a tragedy not to let those parts out. 

The passion that overflows into writing - that's God given no matter your opinion. Your best foot forward, your talents, your skills, your loves, the things that bring you joy - those are God given!

If there's nothing else you take away from this post, here's what I pray you do:

YOU need YOU to be YOU. I know that's a lot of "yous" and especially in the Christian-culture "you" is bad. 

But the best parts of you aren't actually you - they're God given, God ordained, and God sustained. 

So let the best parts of yourself out, share what God is doing, what he's teaching you and who you're becoming because of it. You owe it to yourself to do that, and it honors the God who made you exactly how you are. 



No comments:

Post a Comment